Thursday, November 18, 2010

even make simple things special

 I am a big believer in making simple things special and my favorite tool for that has to be my bread machine. There is something about the smell of yeast and bread baking that can make any house a home. And honestly a bread machine with a dough cycle makes just about anything possible and super easy, just dump and listen for the beep! The sky is the limit with a dough cycle french bread, baguette, dinner rolls, buns you name it can make it. So today I am sharing my caramelized onion, garlic and sharp cheddar hamburger buns with my blue cheese burgers, and for dessert super easy peanut butter fudge that recipe I got from Alton Brown. Here's the link http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/peanut-butter-fudge-recipe/index.html it is super creamy and oh so rich and yummy.


This is a normal dinner roll dough I got the recipe from the book that came with the bread machine.Water, egg, oil, sugar, flour and yeast that has rose twice. I spread it out on a well floured surface.

I sauteed onions and garlic in butter until they are caramelized wait till the onions are almost done before adding the garlic, it cooks very fast and burned garlic is yuck! Drain on a paper towel.

shred some sharp cheddar cheese and add the onions and garlic, knead to combine.

Form into small round disks and let rise for about 30 min. in a warm place.

Bake at 375 for about 20 min. or until golden brown.

You can make these smaller and put them in a cake pan closer together to make dinner rolls also. Doesn't it look good, man I am making myself hungry.

Split in half, I had my burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions, dijon mustard, and homemade dill pickles. Talk about making something special! This is one of the best burgers I have ever had. The only thing that would have been better is if it had been warm enough to grill.  

Now for the fudge, 1cup of butter and 1 cup of peanut butter, microwave on high for 2 min..  Remove and stir, then back in the microwave for 2 more min..

Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 pound of powdered sugar. Add the vanilla first cause when you add the sugar it gets thick. It's best to use a sturdy wood spoon for this.

Like I said it gets thick, good for the arm muscles lol. Keep mixing until its all combined.

the press into a 8x8 pan lined in wax paper that has been greased with butter.

Refrigerate until firm, then cut into pieces and enjoy, word of warning its really rich so cut it into small pieces.
           So I hope as always that this inspires someone out there to try something new. Be brave and if it flops learn from it but don't let it stop you. Oh and I wanted to give a shout out to witchywomen thanks for the comments you are inspiring as always and always leave me waiting for more. Please any one who reads this feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think or would like to see me cook, or just say hi.
Always,
Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment